This Light and Creamy Polish Papal Cream Cake Recipe is Fantastic. This recipe was called Carpathian Mountain Cream Cake Recipe until it was discoved that Pope John Paul II loved it. It was then renamed Polish Papal Cream Cake.
Ingredients for Polish Papal Cream Cake Recipe
- 2 sheets (1.1-pound package) frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Polihs Pastry Cream
Directions for Polish Papal Cream Cake
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Roll out each piece of puff pastry slightly to blend the seam lines. Without cutting all the way through, lightly score each pastry sheet into 9 sections. Sandwich each puff pastry sheet between two pieces of parchment paper and two cooling racks. This will keep the pastry flat but still flaky. Bake 15 minutes, remove top rack and top sheet of parchment paper. Replace rack and continue to bake until golden and crispy throughout, about 15 more minutes. Cool completely.
(If you like a thick layer of filling, make a double batch of Pastry Cream.)
- Using a 13×9-inch pan as a mold, place one layer of cooked puff pastry in the bottom of the pan. Pour hot pastry cream over it, and place second layer of cooked puff pastry on top. Refrigerate until set. When ready to serve, using the prescored marks as guides, cut into 9 pieces. Dust each piece with confectioners’ sugar.
Ingredients for Polish Pastry Cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 large egg yolks (See these leftover egg white recipes.)
Directions for Polish Pastry Cream
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, cornstarch and egg yolks to a boil, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Reduce heat slightly and continue to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to get in the corners. Take the pan off the heat and plunge it into an ice-water bath or, if you have lumps, strain it through a sieve into a pan or heatproof bowl set in ice water.