Wonderful Recipe for Polish Doughnuts (Paczki)
There are many recipes for Paczki. Some call for 10-20 egg yolks, grated orange or lemon rind, cream, rum or vodka. This is a simplified version flavored with mace. My Polish grandmother made her own plum jam from the trees in her yard but you can use your favorite. Posted by request. Prep time is estimated and includes rising time.
Ingredients for Polish Doughnuts – Paczki:
- 1 1⁄2cups milk
- 2(1/4 ounce) packages dry active yeast
- 1⁄2cup sugar
- 1⁄2cup soft butter
- 3egg yolks
- 1whole egg
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2teaspoon mace or 1⁄2teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 1⁄2cups flour
- plums or your choice jam
- oil (for frying)
- confectioners’ sugar or cinnamon sugar
Directions for Polish Doughnuts:
- Scald milk and allow to cool to lukewarm, add yeast and stir.
- Beat sugar and butter until fluffy, add eggs, salt, vanilla and mace.
- Add flour and yeast-milk gradually, beating well.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down and let rise again.
- Roll out dough, on a floured surface, 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut out 1 1/2 inch circles.
- Top half of the circles with 1 tsp jam, cover with the remaining circles and seal edges.
- Heat oil mixed with 1 tbls water to 375°F.
- Fry, turning once, to a medium golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with sugar.